Sills & Betteridge has an experienced team of lawyers collecting debts of every size for business and private clients. With offices in Lincoln, Boston, Sleaford, Skegness, Gainsborough, Spilsby and Coningsby the firm are able to offer a truly specialist service in all aspects of debt recovery.
- We will register your debt on our Debt Case Management System. We can accept copy invoices on your headed notepaper by fax, email or post. We also require copies of any correspondence which have passed between you and the debtor.
- Once your debt is registered we then send a solicitors 7 day letter before action. This is the most productive stage of proceedings and in most cases results in the debt being paid.
- If the debt is not recovered we then bring Court proceedings on your behalf against the debtor.
- Following issue of Court proceedings if the debt still remains outstanding and the debtor has not filed a defence to the claim, Judgment is entered and recorded against the debtor in the register of County Court Judgments which is used by credit reference agencies.
- Once Judgment is entered enforcement action is taken.
- Disputed claims are not suitable for this service. We offer a full dispute resolution service for disputed claims which we shall be pleased to discuss with you.
Under this scheme if no monies are recovered no charge for our fees is made. The only cost to you is the Court fee. If the debt is recovered now or later we charge commission based on a percentage of the sum we recover. If the debt is recovered once proceedings have been issued the debtor pays the Court fees and our fees for preparing the claim forms. If no monies are still recovered following issue of Court proceedings the next step we will take is to enter Judgment. Once Judgment is entered, we will discuss with you the most cost effective way of enforcement action together with the likely costs involved. At all times we will discuss and keep you informed of the progress of your case.
What about old debts? Did you know you can pursue a debt up to 6 years subject of course to the debtors status.
Why use us? Solicitors’ letters are one of the most effective methods of debt recovery. We understand the Court system and can make it work for you. We offer an all round service and do not go away if the debt becomes defended. We have access to a variety of enforcement methods including the use of different types of bailiffs, Attachment of Earnings Orders, Bankruptcy Petitions, Winding Up Petitions and Charging Orders which can recover money in unpromising cases.
Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998
If the debt is a commercial debt you may be able to recover interest under the Late Payment of Commercial Debts(Interest) Act 1998 at the rate of 8% above bank base rate as well as compensation for debt recovery expenses
For more information please contact Sharon Nadin.