The Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 came into force on 31st July 1974. The Act places two main duties on anyone who operates a business:
- It shall be the duty of every employer to ensure, as far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare at work of all his or her employees.
- It shall be the duty of every employer to conduct his undertaking in such a way as to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that persons not in his employment who may be affected thereby are not thereby exposed to risks to their health or safety.
Following the introduction of the act there has been a huge volume of regulations made under the act. These regulations can apply to almost every area of any business, from the lowest risk office to the most hazardous chemical plant. In addition in 1992 six sets of regulations were introduced which implemented EC Directives and apply to the majority of workplaces. These included:
- Management of Health and Safety At Work Regulations 1999
- Manual Handling Operations Regulations 1992 (as amended)
- The Health & Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations 1992
- Workplace (Health safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992
- Provision & Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998
- Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations 1992
Sills & Betteridge have a team of highly experienced lawyers who are able to advise you on health and safety issues. Our services include:
- Advice on all Health & Safety Law issues.
- Support when a business is served with a legal notice and/or subjected to prosecution as a result of intervention by the HSE or Local Authority safety inspection. To include Health and Safety investigations, lodging appeals, advising at interviews under caution and representing individuals and companies at subsequent court proceedings.
- Advice with regard to ISO 9000/OHSAS Health and Safety management systems implementation including setting up procedures and policies, carrying out audits, risk assessments and investigations.
If you need advice on any Health & Safety issue please contact one of our commercial team.