The recorded origins of Sills & Betteridge date back to 1759. The firm gets its name from Mr G R Sills who ran the firm alone until 1948 when he accepted Roger Betteridge into partnership. Mr Betteridge retired in 1976 and Roger Wallis took over the business. Andrew Payne, the firm’s current senior partner, joined the firm in 1978.
The firm’s head office has been at its current location in St Peters Churchyard, Silver Street, Lincoln since 1861. In the late 1990’s the firm expanded into neighbouring offices in Aquis House, Clasketgate. It now occupies all four floors of this office.
Sills & Betteridge have amalgamated with numerous firms over the past decade. The firm has used mergers and acquisitions as a strategy for expansion into new geographic areas and to further strengthen its existing operations.
The list below details all of the mergers and acquisitions completed by Sills & Betteridge over the last ten years:-
- Frearsons Solicitors – Skegness – 1st October 2015
- MacLaren Britton Solicitors – Nottingham – 1st October 2013
- JSP Solicitors – Skegness – 1st October 2013
- Norman Green Solicitors – Skegness – 1st October 2011
- Richard Tinn Solicitors – Boston – 1st October 2011
- Godsons Solicitors – Sleaford – 1st September 2010
- Walkers, Rainey & Owen – Spilsby – 1st September 2007
- Jebb & Tunnard – Boston – 1st June 2007
- Thimblebys Solicitors – Spilsby & Coningsby – 1st June 2007
The firm now has twelve offices with 270 partners and staff across Lincolnshire and Central England.