Public & Private Liability

Public & Private Liability Compensation Claim Solicitors

1. What type of accident can I claim for?

Public or private liability claims usually arise from an accident which occurred on somebody else’s premises. A few examples are shops, public houses, offices, public buildings, private houses and property, fairgrounds including rides but there are many more. If you have had an accident on someone else’s premises, then you may well have a claim.

2. What do I need to do following an accident?

  • You should report the accident to the owner of the premises or to the person in charge.
  • You should request that the accident is recorded on an Accident Report Form or in an Accident Book and you should request that a copy is given to you.
  • If there were witnesses to your accident, you should obtain their name and contact details.
  • If you are unable to report the accident or ensure that it is recorded for any reason, you should make your own record of the accident.

3. How do I know if my claim will succeed?

For a claim to succeed, it needs to be proved that somebody else was at fault. This is often known as negligence. The Occupier’s Liability Act 1957 also provides that occupiers of premises owe a duty to take reasonable steps to ensure the safety of visitors. In many cases it is obvious if the occupier of premises was at fault but we will always take full details from you and advise what grounds you have to bring a claim.

4. What injury can I claim for?

You can claim for any injury however small. You should always consider seeking medical attention for your injuries. Claims are regularly brought for a range of injuries covering strains and sprains up to fractures and much more serious injuries. If you have a minor injury that you are concerned about, then you should seek medical attention.

5. How much compensation will I receive?

The compensation for your injury depends upon the severity of the injury itself. There are published guidelines which give a range of compensation for different injuries. When your claim is ready for settlement, we will carry out detailed research and advise you on the appropriate compensation you should receive.

Our reviews

Our offices

Our People

Please use the search bar below to find a person by name. If you wish to find a lawyer, by specialism, in your area, please select ADVANCED SEARCH

Advanced Search
The Legal 500 - Leading Firm - 2020 The Lawyer UK 200 - Listed Firm - 2020 Lexcel Practice Management Standard - Law Society Accredited
CILEx National Awards 2019 - Highly Commended
The Law Society - Children Law The Law Society - Family Mediation The Law Society - Personal Injury The Law Society - Family Law The Law Society - Conveyancing Quality The Law Society - Criminal Litigation
 0800 542 4245