Our Business Succession Planning team is formed of experts from our Private Client Department and Corporate and Commercial Department.
Their bespoke approach which not only involves combining their own specialist knowledge but also working with their clients’ accountants, financial advisors and land agents, means they develop and implement effective succession and exit strategies, as well as helping the owners protect against unexpected life events.
We act for businesses of all sizes across all sectors, including landed estates and farms. Our team has specialist knowledge in the agricultural sector and recognise these are complex businesses.
Whether you are planning for your retirement, to bring the next generation into your business or wanting to ensure your business continues to run smoothly if you suffer from an unexpected decline in your health or your death, with careful, harmonious structuring of business and personal affairs:
- the business will continue to overcome unexpected obstacles
- key directors and staff can retire without adversely effecting the business
- family wealth can be preserved
- taxes can be mitigated
- your business will be more saleable in whole or in parts
- future generations will be fairly treated - even those not wishing to be actively involved in the business
No matter how successful your business currently is, longer term success relies on careful planning and good organisation for future business and personal events. Having a harmonious and early approach to both will preserve what you have achieved, for your retirement and for your family’s future. Some options are lost with the passage of time and future planning should therefore be undertaken well in advance of, and not as part of your exit.
The work our team regularly undertakes involves the following:
Personal Wealth Protection
- Inheritance tax planning
- Powers of attorney
Corporate Wealth Protection and Realisation
- Holding company structures
- Lease back arrangements
- Sale and transfers of land and premises, including to pensions
- Management buy-outs
- Securities, including mortgages, debentures and debenture trusts
- Company sales and purchases
- Asset sales
Renewable energy – we have experience with anaerobic digestion, photovoltaic and battery storage, and wind energies
Planning and development opportunities
Joint venture agreements
Internal Corporate Actions
- Shareholder agreements and partnership agreements
- Updating of company Articles of Association
- Alphabet shares
- Employee share schemes including growth share schemes
- Solvent liquidations restructuring